Career Objectives To Implement My Skills
- A human factors engineer position that facilitates technical excellence and maintenance in aviation.
- An aerospace engineering position that can benefit from my abilties to communicate, design, and work with others while developing skills in design, testing, and analysis.
- A role in educational outreach to assist with presenting activities, distributing information and creating literature/visuals to increase the awareness of STEM objectives.
- A Webmaster position utilizing my experience and enthusiasm to
contribute, communicate, and lead to create aesthetically pleasing sites.
Master of Aeronautical Science - anticipated October 2012
Specializations: Space Operations Management, Education/Training, and Human Factors
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University - Worldwide, Houston Campus
Small Museum Pro! Professional Certificate - August 2011
Eastern New Mexico State University/Museum Development Associates
BS Aerospace Engineering - June 2008
University of California, San Diego (UCSD) - Jacobs School of Engineering
General Skills and Characteristics (Interpersonal, Work Ethic, Etc.)
- Willing to learn
- Flexible with new tasks and people to work with
- Quick to provide support
- Accomplishes tasks in a timely manner
- Functions as an effective team player that can also work independently
- Communicates effectively through verbal, written, and graphical means
- Takes initiative to organize, manage, and lead to find resolution to problems
Windows 95 - Windows 7 Platforms
- Familiar with using a Mac OS X in a UNIX environment
Computing and Graphic Design Abilities in Action
- Microsoft Office: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, FrontPage, Access
- Adobe/Macromedia: CS2, CS3, CS4, CS5, Captivate, Photoshop, ImageReady, Acrobat, PageMaker (6.5 & 7), Dreamweaver, Illustrator, Fireworks and some Flash
- JASC Paintshop Pro
- Autodesk: AutoCad, Inventor
- Other CAD programs: Solidworks, Matlab, Pro-E
This is by no means comprehensive... this is just a sampling of my abilities.
- 2010 AIAA Region IV Student Paper Conference Poster - Based on Tania Garcia's t-shirt design, the poster was created with Illustrator
- 2010 AIAA Region IV Student Paper Conference Brochure - A trifold brochure made from Microsoft Word with graphics edited or created from PhotoShop.
- Indoor Free Flight Plane - Design Analysis of an airplane I helped design and drew impressive schematics on MS Paint - I can effectively work and present information even with the limited availability of computer software and tools.
- Centaur Drawing - drawn with MS Paint, colored with Photoshop. Being a playful Sagittarius, it would only be appropriate for me to draw myself as a centaur.
- Do Be Do - drawn with MS Paint, colored with Photoshop. Random doodle of me saying "do be do."
- Halloween - drawn with MS Paint, colored with Photoshop. Mass mailing during Halloween.
- Simba - MS Paint. After the School Bell Rings was about to present their rendition of The Lion King and I drew this for their program.
- Timon - MS Paint. Can't have one without the other Lion King character.
- Ruby Doo, Where Are You? - MS Paint. Scooby Doo spoof with Irene and best friends.
- Valentine - drawn with MS Paint again. I love Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (TMNT) because I'm a big kid. In Kindergarten I gave away TMNT valentines to the entire class.
- Cajon Valley Middle School Engineering Club Yearbook - In 2006, I did engineering and science outreach with middle school students and I wanted them to have a memento to keep. Each page was created with either Fireworks or Photoshop and compiled as a complete "book" with Acrobat.
- Front and Back of a t-shirt designed with Photoshop and... MS Paint!
- Fish Taco - MS Paint. One of my favorite eats.
- Powerpoint Presentations of Robot
- Proficient in HTML and CSS (This whole site utilized them)
- Some experience with databases, Microsoft SQL, and PERL
Summit Technologies and Solutions, Inc. - Oct 2011 - Present (Houston, TX)
Scripps Institute of Oceanography Webmaster - Mar 2009 - Present, Jul 2006 - Jun 2008 (La Jolla, CA, but currently telecommuting from Houston, TX)
- Created Photoshop mock ups for International Space Station internal websites.
- Reorganized information and navigation on existing websites.
- Designed icons with Photoshop and illustrator.
- Edited form variables in ColdFusion.
- Conduct 508 compliance reports through Worldspace and FireEyes.
- Helped assessed the relevance of pages by generating and interpreting Urchin reports.
United Space Alliance ISS Communications Engineering Staff - August 2008 - January 2009
- Designed and published the CCHDO and SEAHUNT posters for the 2008, 2010, and 2012 Ocean Sciences Meeting.
- Created the look and navigation of the WOCE Pacific Ocean Atlas website and WOCE Indian Ocean Atlas website.
- Assist in creating a functional website for the international hydrographic data community (CCHDO).
- Collaborate with various groups of people to produce an easy-to-navigate, comprehensive site.
- Revamping existing websites that have not been updated for an extended period of time.
UCSD, External Relations Webmaster Assistant - February 2004 - June 2006 (La Jolla, CA)
- Participated in high-intensity training on NASA protocols and communication subsystems.
- Assisted in lesson plan development for classes intended for astronauts and flight controllers.
- Technically, functionally, and aesthetically enhanced the group's internal website.
- Assist in editing and creating websites (part of http://www-er.ucsd.edu/) for 15 or more hours/week.
- Provide editing support and troubleshooting via e-mail and telephone,
- Maintain content: compose captions, compile and update appropriate links and
- Create simple online forms on ASP pages with appropriate graphics and layouts.
- Document web traffic using WebTrends and MS Excel spreadsheets.
- Aerospace Structures Repair
- Dynamics and Control of Aerospace Vehicles
- Computer Aided Design and Analysis
- Engineering Graphics and Design
- Structural Materials
- Statics, Dynamics, and Vibrations
- Linear Circuits
- Signals and Systems
- Fluid Mechanics
- Heat Transfer
- Computational Methods
- Aerospace Structure Analysis
Space Operations Management
- The Air Transportation System
- Aircraft and Spacecraft Development
- Methods and Procedures for the Graduate Capstone Project
- Production and Procurement Management in Aviation/Aerospace Industry
- Aviation/Aerospace Operations Research
- Applications in Space: Commerce, Defense, and Exploration
- Advanced Aviation/Aerospace Planning Systems
- Aerospace/Aviation Information Management
- Earth Observation and Remote Sensing
- Space Habitation & Life Support Systems
- Space Mission and Launch Operations
- Advanced Aviation/Aerospace Curriculum Development
- Aviation/Aerospace Simulation Systems
- Computer Based Instruction - See the capstone project, computer/web-based training modules on Scenario Based Training
- Aviation Education Foundations
- Adolescent Development and Education
- Social Organization of Education
- Introduction to Secondary School Teaching and Learning
- Practicum in Teaching/Learning
- Human Factors in the Aviation/Aerospace Industry (In Progress)
- Memory and Cognition
- Aviation/Aerospace Psychology
- Human-Computer Interaction - See the class project
- Select "Houston" from the "Pick City" drop-down list and "HEB - Someplace Specific" from the "Pick Store" drop-down list
- Sensation and Perception
- Museum Administration
- Managing and Organizing Museum Collections
- Crafting Great Learning Experiences
- Care for Museum Collections
- Museum Exhibits: Building Effective Museum Exhibits
American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Member - August 2004 - Present
Society of Women Engineers, Member - September 2003 - Present
- 2010-2012 AIAA-Houston Secretary
- 2010 and 2012 Region IV Student Paper Conference Co-Chair
- 2009-2010 AIAA-Houston Councilor
- 2007-2008 UCSD Chair
- 2005-2007 UCSD Secretary/Webmaster, and Vice Chair of Publicity
- Received the 2011 Certificate of Participation and Completion of the Engineers as Educators Workshop at the Houston Section Annual Technical Symposium
- Received the 2010 AIAA Special Service Citation for successfully coordinating the 2010 Region IV Student Paper Conference, one of the largest student paper conferences (with a total of 145 attendees with representation from 12 universities and 2 high schools throughout Texas and New Mexico) in the region within the last 5 years.
- Revamped AIAA-San Diego section's website, which was awarded with the 2008 2nd place AIAA Communications Award
- Coordinated efforts to give AIAA@UCSD a professional development dimension, making it more accessible to people that were not involved with this traditionally project-based group.
- Presided over the AIAA@UCSD board meetings and general body meetings of 30+ attendees
- Instrumental in expanding AIAA@UCSD programs and participation in educational initiatives.
- Established relationships with industry professionals to coordinate new speaking engagements and professional development events for AIAA@UCSD students.
- Produced activity reports for various councils.
- Prepared agendas and recorded meeting minutes for board meetings.
- Actively recruited volunteers for educational outreach events at the San Diego Air & Space Museum.
- Supervised the completion of event logistics.
- Generated publicity and help make public announcements that help bring nearly 100 people to the general body meeting.
- Created an informative website that has received compliments from UCSD faculty and students.
- Recognized for outreach assistance at the 2007 AIAA Space Conference Education Alley.
NASA's ISS EarthKAM, School and Web Team Member - July 2007 - June 2008
- 2011-2012 Texas Space Center Vice President
- 2010-2012 Texas Space Center Secretary
- 2006-2007 UCSD Vice President, External
- 2004-2006 UCSD Webmaster
- Spoke to junior high school, high school, and young ladies about pursuing a STEM degree at the Missouri City Library for their 2012 Women's History Month event
- Facilitated the organization of the joint 2011 and 2012 Women's History Month event with Johnson Space Center's Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity
- Successfully solicited $7000 in sponsorship from local engineering companies.
- Arrange informational sessions with companies so students will be informed about career opportunities.
- Coordinated the participation of 33 industry representatives from 14 different companies at the "Evening With Industry" event.
- Received compliments for maintaining communication via the website while being webmaster from 2004-2006.
Life After Middle School, Lead Lesson Planner - December 2005 - June 2006
- Recruited pre-college students and educators for the opportunity to take pictures of the earth from a camera mounted in the Internal Space Station.
Innovative Design & Engineering Applications, Webmaster - November 2005 - June 2008
- Directed a team of 7 in structuring lesson plans around math, science, and engineering.
- Presented and demonstrated engineering activities to a group of children in the program.
Chancellor's Organization of Allied Students - September 2005 - June 2008
- Assisted in the executive summary and graphical representation of an intelligent fire suppression system project that placed 8th in UCSD's $50,000 Entrepreneurship Competition.
Revelle Community Outreach - September 2003 - June 2007
- Communications Committee Member
- Informed and publicized the organization through visual mediums and public speaking.
- Initiated and led conversations at Chancellor's Associates and UCSD Alumni
- Provided tours of the UCSD campus for visiting alumni.
After the School Bell Rings - October 1999 - December 2006
- 2004-2005 Co-Chair
- 2003-2004 Webmaster
- Oversaw weekly meetings for a committee of 10.
- Supervised and simplified the coordination of volunteering events
- 1999-2003 Webmaster
- Tutor children in Math and English
- Write and adapt plays for children to perform
- Write articles about events that children participated in.
- Texas Special Olympics Winter Games Powerlifting Scorekeeper - February 2012
- Space Explorers Educators Conference Volunteer - February 2012
- Texas Science and Engineering Fair Volunteer - November 2011
- NASA Alumni League Webmaster - August 2011 - Present
- Texas Gulf Coast Special Olympics Volunteer - April 2011
- Clear Creek Independence School District Science Fair Judge - February 2011, January 2012
- Engineering Excellence Competition Judge - February 2011
- Habitat for Humanity Volunteer - December 2010, February 2012
- D'Feet Breast Cancer Volunteer - October 2010
- AIAA Annual Technical Symposium Volunteer - April 2010, May 2011
- Avon Walk for Breast Cancer Volunteer - March 2010
- Regional Future City Competition Judge - January 2010, January 2011, January 2012
- 1940 Air Terminal Museum Assistant Collections Manager - January 2010
- Rotary National Award for Space Achievement Website Assistance, Sponsor Solicitation Assistant, Registration Table Volunteer, and RNASA Representative at Texas High School Aerospace Scholars Program - June 2009 - Present
- Space Center Lecture Series Volunteer - March 2009
- Mars Rover Model Celebration Judge - February 2009, February 2010
- A Visit from Saint Nicholas Volunteer - November 2008, November 2011
- Briargrove Festival NASA Representative - October 2008
- Komen Race for the Cure 5K Walk Participant/Fundraiser - October 2008, October 2009, October 2010, October 2011
- San Diego Air and Space Museum Volunteer - April 2008 - May 2008
- 2007 AIAA Space Conference Education Alley Volunteer - September 2007
- Sally Ride Science Festival Exhibitor and Presenter - November 2006, February 2007, October 2009, October 2011
- Expanding Your Horizons Conference Presenter - May 2006
- Gompers Charter Secondary School, 7th grade Science Tutor - April 2006 - June 2007
- SWEet Conference with the Girl Scouts, Polymer Workshop Planner - March - April 2006
- Sally Ride Science TOYchallenge, Prescreening Judge - February 2006
- BEWiSE, Overnight Stay Chaperone - May 2005
- Chancellor's 5K Challenge Volunteer and Participant - October 2004, October 2005, October 2006
- Expanding Your Horizons Conferences, Workshop Assistant - April 2004, April 2005, February 2009, March 2010, March 2012
- San Diego Special Olympics, Timekeeper - January 2004, May 2005, February 2006
- 2011 and 2012 Who's Who Among Students in American Universities & Colleges
- 2010 AIAA Special Service Citation - June 2010
- 2010 Society of Women Engineers - Texas Space Center Section Service Award - May 2010
- 2008 2nd Place AIAA Communications Award, Large Section - January 2009
- UCSD Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Award for Excellence in Leadership and Service - June 2008
- COAST Member of Distinction Award - May 2008
- COAST Member of the Year Award - May 2006
- Provost's Honors - January 2005, March 2005
- Optimist Club Youth Appreciation Award - December 2004
- UCSD Leadership Certificate - May 2004
- Optimist Essay Contest: 1st Place (County) - March 2003
- Optimist Oratorical Contest: 3rd Place (County) - March 2003